Skip to main content

It is a program in which students from a secondary school or university, study abroad. A student exchange program may involve international travel but does not necessarily require the student to study outside their home country.

There are many exchange programs. The most popular one is Erasmus+. For additional information talk with your International Relations Officer.

There are many reasons why study abroad programs are becoming so popular. Gaining a high-quality education, experiencing immersion in a new culture (and often a second language), gaining a global mindset and expanding future employment prospects are just some of them. It is also an exciting challenge that often leads to improved career opportunities and a broader understanding of the way the world works.

Being abroad has much more to do with culture and experience than simply language skills. When someone leaves the familiar behind and plunges into the unknown, he or she is showing a commitment to understanding other people, to learning about the world in a way that textbooks and school assignments never reveal. A year spent abroad is a year that will redefine your world.

You'll discover that every moment, every conversation and experience, challenges the way you look at the world. You'll see differences as well as similarities in people and their actions, in their beliefs and values. You'll realize what it means to belong to a certain country and culture. You'll learn about yourself as you learn about others. A year abroad teaches you about building friendships, taking responsibility for yourself, respecting differences and tolerating the beliefs of others.

Exchange students develop leadership skills, self-confidence and a greater understanding of the complexities of the world around them. This is why the best universities, as well as corporations and professionals, look favorably on students who have spent a school year abroad. They know that former international exchange students bring a higher level of maturity and a global frame of reference to their university studies and activities.

If you are enrolled as a full-time student at your home institution you can apply for the exchange. If you are in your first year of studies, or in your last semester (graduate student), unfortunately, you cannot apply.

International students or exchange students are those who chose to undertake all or part of their education in a country other than their own and move to that country to study. In 2017, there were over 5.3 million international students, up from 2 million in 2000.

Students who are full-time students at their home university before their exchange can apply. They can apply to all universities that have an agreement with their home institution.

Both your sending and receiving institutions have an International Relations Office. They can have different names, e.g. International Bureau, Exchange Office or Mobility Office. Their role is to provide information and counseling for incoming and outgoing students. The IRO staff takes care of all official documentation and the enrolment process at both institutions. They are also a provider of information about the application procedure, requirements and practical arrangements related to your stay abroad.

They have all information regarding your mobility, arrival and departure days, learning agreement, visa and temporary residence and accommodation. They also know all the procedures regarding the necessary documentation that you need to bring with you from your home institution as well as documentation that you need to take with you on your departure from the host institution.

The documents that you'll need for your exchange depend on the exchange program itself. In general, you will need some kind of an application form, an agreement for learning with all the courses you will take at your host university and the ones that will be replaced at your home university. For more details do not hesitate to contact the International Relations Office at your home university.

Credit mobility can be defined as a limited period of study or traineeship abroad (in the framework of on-going studies at a home institution) to gain (ECTS) credits. After the mobility phase, students return to their home institution, where the credits are recognized and they complete their studies.

For over 30 years, Europe has funded the Erasmus program, which has enabled over three million European students to spend part of their studies in another higher education institution in Europe. Erasmus+ now opens up these opportunities, allowing for mobility from and to other parts of the world between the so-called "Programme" and "Partner Countries. This action also supports the mobility of staff (teaching or training).

Your host country will be the country where you're going on the exchange.

Your home country is your country of residence.

The host university is the one you will do your exchange at, the one you're applying to through one of the exchange programs.

The home university is the university you are currently enrolled/studying at.

Talking with former exchange students before your departure and application, in general, will help you a lot. You can get any information needed about traveling, accommodation, how the whole process looks like, tips and tricks to spend a better exchange period in your host country and they can even help you with the courses you need to choose. For a better understanding of the whole process, you can join your local ESN section, or just contact them and ask for help.

All the opportunities that are available for higher education students depend on the university they study at. To find out all the information needed, you have to go to your International Relations Office or check their web page.

Previous exchange experiences might be on a blog that is connected with the International Relations Office web page, or you can talk with local ESNers.

For Erasmus+ and Mevlana exchange you must acquire at least a B1 level on the English language proficiency test. The test is usually conducted in the International Relations Office at your home university. In case you had the English language as a subject during your higher education, your grade should be enough.

If you are a full-time student at one of the universities that has an agreement with other universities for the student exchange you can apply for your exchange. However, if you are a first-year or graduate, you are not eligible for the exchange. For more details, you can always visit your IRO and ask them about any concerns you might have.

Unfortunately, no. You are not able to go to the exchange if you are a first-year student because you need to have an average grade, but you can apply as soon as you start the second semester of your first year.

During the academic year, you have two deadlines to apply for the exchange. If you want to study for your summer semester at another university, you have to apply in January/February each year. Accordingly, if you want to study your winter semester abroad you have to apply in June/July. For more accurate information and exact deadlines for applying, keep checking an official page of your university and/or IRO.

As the course(s) to be taken in the host institution are officially agreed to be counted in advance within the Learning Protocol, the students do not repeat any courses/semesters when they return, nor do they lose a semester.


  • International learning and knowledge propel students towards acceptance and understanding of an array of different cultural and community perspectives.
  • Language acquisition is achieved through practical immersion.
  • Awareness and adoption of alternative, multi-faceted approaches to learning.
  • Analytical and problem-solving skills.
  • Enhanced interest in global issues as well as a broader general knowledge.


  • Self-development and awareness leading to enhanced self-confidence and self-esteem.
  • Maturity and social poise are fuelled by the necessity to confront challenges outside a familiar support network and comfort zone.
  • The development of life-long friendships, fostering an appreciation of home and family.
  • A tremendous sense of accomplishment upon completion encourages students to develop independent opinions, make informed decisions and strive to attain fresh goals.


  • Prospective employers in almost every field look favorably upon experience gained while living abroad and knowledge obtained of another language and culture.
  • Awareness of group dynamics and personal sensitivity towards others. 
  • Flexibility, encompassing an ability to reach compromise, focus and succeed through challenging times.

You have to report to your IRO and submit your mobility documents: learning agreement with changes (if any), transcript of records, certificate of attendance/stay. IRO staff will send your documents to your faculty for recognition.

To get valuable information about going abroad as a university student, the best source is the International Relations Office at your university. You can visit them during their working hours, contact them via email, or just follow their publications on a web page or social networks.

You have to contact IRO at your home institution as well as the IRO at your host institution. They will explain the necessary procedures.

After the call is announced, you need to collect all the papers stated (motivational letter, CV, language proficiency certificate, proof that you are a full-time student with your average grade and your proposal of learning agreement). Once you have them all, you send an email with all documents in PDF to your IRO. Please be careful to send them all in one email, since you are not the only student applying.

Also, pay attention not to send it empty or without the subject. It's always appreciated more if you take some time and shortly write what you've put as the attachments to the mail and which university you want to apply for.

Student nominates to his/her home institution and after the approval of the nomination by the home institution, the nomination is sent to the host institution for approval. If the nomination is approved by the host institution, the student begins with his/her application process.

If you want to participate in one of the exchange programs, you have to check first in your IRO where you can go. All the universities your home university has a valid agreement with are your potential exchange destinations. 

Depending on the document, they have to be signed by the dean of your faculty, faculty and university coordinator for exchange and by you. You can always check for detailed information at IRO.

That depends on your home university and you should check that before applying. At some universities, you must pass at least half of the subjects that you've chosen before your exchange and at others, the important thing is to attend all the exams, no matter if you pass them or not.

When recognizing the exams passed at the host institution, the faculty coordinator uses the grading system of the home institution.

Your higher education institution must recognize the credits (using ECTS credits or an equivalent system) as agreed in the learning agreement before the mobility and count them towards your degree, without any further requirements.

Depending on the program, the exchange can be from 3 to 12 months long.

No. There are two application deadlines each academic year.

Yes. There are two application deadlines during one academic year depending on the semester. You can always check that on the IRO web page or ask them directly.

 The response depends on the deadlines set by the host institution.

No. Student's visa implies approval of stay in a foreign country for studying purposes only.

The student can stay at the host university for the entire duration of his/her grant agreement duration.

No. While you're on your exchange, it is not possible for you to attend the exams or to participate in classes at your home university. 

If not stated otherwise, the student application must contain a motivational letter, CV (Europass), language proficiency certificate, a proposal of learning agreement and a transcript of records.

Before returning home, you should have your learning agreement signed, letter of attendance and your transcript of records obtained.

Preparation for exchange includes obtaining a visa (if needed), a signed learning agreement by all three parties, securing accommodation and being in contact with your host institution.

You can seek tips and advice from your local ESN sections where volunteers, mostly former Erasmus+ students, will be happy to support you through the whole process.

Students of social sciences must have a grade point average minimum of 8,0 while students of technical sciences must have a grade point average of a minimum of 7,5. However, there are cases when students with lower GPA have won the exchange scholarship. It all depends on the GPA of students who have been nominated for a specific nomination call.

You can apply to up to three universities, but your nomination will be sent to only one that is your top priority.

Yes, but then you are considered as a free-mover and zero-grantee, which means that you cannot receive a scholarship and have to provide funds for your living costs. This rule implies only for mobility programs that universities from Bosnia and Herzegovina can participate in as partners.

The success of your nomination depends on your GPA, motivational letter, academic record and English language knowledge.

It's a formal document from your host university that you are accepted to study abroad and as soon as you get this, you can proceed with other things that you have to do (such as visa or health insurance).

A letter of acceptance is issued by your host university. After the process of application is done and you’ve been accepted as an exchange student, they’ll send you a letter of acceptance.

A letter of acceptance proves that you’ve been enrolled at your chosen host university and is one of the required papers if you’ll need to get a visa.

An invitation letter is the same as a letter of acceptance.

Depending on the places available, you might go with your friend to the same university for the exchange program, but you must be aware of the possibility that this might not happen.

A "zero grantee" is a student who applies for mobility on one of the universities that his/her home university has an agreement with, but was not selected for one of the exchange programs. In this case, the student can use the status "zero grantee", which means that he/she is not obliged to pay fees on the host institution, that he/she will have the right to certain benefits, but during his/her stay at the host university, he/she will not have a scholarship.

A "free mover" is a student who applies for the exchange at an International university that is not in the same network/program as his/her home institution. This kind of mobility is accepted only if the host university after the deadline for applying and there are free places not taken by other exchange students that applied from the universities in the same network/program. The student applies on his/her own and he/she can choose any university that allows applying for free movers and offers a scholarship for foreign students.

When a student goes to mobility, he/she must be a full-time student of a certain university. He/she goes for one or two semesters to study at the host institution and upon his/her return the success he/she made, based on his/her learning agreement, would be recognized by his/her home institution. Throughout the entire mobility, he/she cannot lose the status of a full-time student.

Cycle students do not have to be enrolled at any university when they apply for a scholarship. They must have a high school, bachelor or master's diploma when they apply. When they finish their studies, they get a diploma from that very university.

Yes, you can. But be sure that you attend all your lectures and fulfill all your academic obligations on time.

In general, students are nominated to their home institution and after the nomination process is over the committee composed of faculty coordinators decides on the list of the nominees. The nomination is then signed by the institutional coordinator and sent to the host institution, which then decides whether or not to accept the nomination.

Students of the first cycle can go on exchange for 12 months in the whole academic cycle, second cycle students for one semester and PhD students for 3 months.

There is no age limit for the exchange programs.

The nomination will not be accepted if the committee of faculty coordinators from the home institution deemed that the documents submitted by the students did not satisfy the criteria. The host institution will not accept the nomination if they believe that the nominated student does not satisfy their criteria for being an exchange student.

After the nomination is sent to the host institution, the student waits for the acceptance or rejection of the nomination.

Unfortunately no. Students of last semester, graduates and matriculants are not eligible to apply for the exchange.

A nomination is a document made through email communication from your home institutional coordinator who confirms that the student was selected by your institution to carry out a study/training period at the host university. Your home university needs to send your personal information (name, surname, study field, study cycle, email and preferably learning agreement) by given deadlines. Applications received without the correspondent nomination will not be considered.

To study abroad with Erasmus+, you must be registered in a higher education institution and enrolled in studies leading to a recognized degree or tertiary-level qualification. For students in the first cycle, you need to be at least in the second year of your studies.

Your period of study abroad must be relevant for your degree-related learning and personal development needs, and be part of the study program that you are following.

Your home institution and the receiving institution must have an inter-institutional agreement between them for you to study there with Erasmus+.

Both institutions must also hold the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (if they are in Programme countries). Institutions from Partner countries commit to the principles of the Charter when signing the inter-institutional agreements.

Also, you need to fulfill the selection criteria defined by your higher education institution. Your institution may include selection criteria such as the academic performance of the candidate, previous mobility experience, motivation, experience in the receiving country, etc.

The selection of students - as well as the procedure for awarding them a grant - must be fair, transparent, coherent and documented, and shall be made available to all parties involved in the selection process.

The Erasmus Programme (European Community Action Scheme for the Mobility of university Students) is a European Union (EU) student exchange program established in 1987. Erasmus+, or Erasmus Plus, is the new program combining all the EU's current schemes for education, training, youth and sport, which was started in January 2014. More than 9 million people have participated in the Erasmus program since its creation. The number of young participants has increased significantly since 1987. Students who join the Erasmus Programme study for at least 3 months or do an internship for a period of at least 2 months to an academic year in another European country. A main part of the program is that students do not pay extra tuition fees to the university that they visit. Students can also apply for an Erasmus grant to help cover the additional expense of living abroad. Students with disabilities can apply for an additional grant to cover extraordinary expenses. Erasmus+ now offers the possibility to go way beyond the European borders as well.

Of course it is. Erasmus+ program promotes social inclusion and diversity. Each year, this program is investing more in students.

There is no age limitation, but you just have to complete the first year of your studies to benefit from the Erasmus+ studies and Erasmus+ placement programs.

You can have up to 12 months of mobility in one cycle, so that means that you can have two (or more) mobility experiences during your education.

A "grant agreement" is a formal document that you have to sign and it specifies the duration of your mobility, the amount of the grant and other rights and obligations. As an Erasmus+ student, you will be exempted from fees for tuition, registration, examinations, and charges for access to laboratories or libraries at the receiving institution. Small fees for insurance or student union membership may still apply.

A letter of acceptance is a formal notice from your host university that you've been accepted to study abroad. As soon as you get this, you can start packing your bags!

Usually, each Higher Education Institution has one institutional Erasmus coordinator and one Erasmus coordinator per faculty. The list of the coordinators can be found on the institution's website. The coordinators are responsible for advising students on their choice of courses and the number of ECTS credits needed. In case of any problems, you can consult the coordinator at either your sending or receiving institution.

The faculty coordinators are members of the committee of the faculty coordinators and they are responsible for recommending students for nomination. In addition, they have to help the student to fill out his/her LA, as well as sign it. Also, once the student returns from mobility, they are responsible for the recognition of the mobility period abroad.

The institutional coordinator verifies the nomination by signing the nomination letter which is sent to the host institution and he/she makes sure that faculty coordinators comply with their duties. As a rule, the institutional coordinator does not sign LA. The institutional coordinator will sign LA in the absence of the faculty coordinator, only.

To study/train abroad, you must be registered in a higher education institution and you must be following studies leading to a recognized degree or other recognized tertiary level qualification, such as a Bachelor, a Master or a Doctorate.

Your institution must be located in one of the countries participating in Erasmus+ mobility for higher education. In addition, if your institution is located in a Programme Country, it must have been awarded the Erasmus Charter for Higher Education (ECHE). This Charter is part of an accreditation procedure established to guarantee a quality framework for all participants in mobility activities. You can check your institution's website to know if it is an ECHE holder.

The selection criteria to study or train abroad with Erasmus+ are defined by your higher education institution.

Before the study abroad period:

  • You, your sending and receiving higher education institutions must sign a learning agreement for studies to ensure a transparent and efficient preparation of the exchange abroad, as well as to agree on how activities successfully completed abroad will be recognized. This document sets out the rights and responsibilities of the various parties
  • You will receive the Erasmus+ Student Charter, explaining your rights and obligations concerning your period of study abroad

After the study abroad period:

  • The receiving higher education institution must provide you and your sending institution with a transcript of records confirming that the agreed program has been completed and acknowledge the results
  • Your higher education institution must recognize the credits (using ECTS credits or an equivalent system) as agreed in the learning agreement before the mobility and count them towards your degree, without any further requirements
  • If your higher education institution is in a Programme country, your mobility period should also be recorded in the Diploma Supplement.

Certificate of arrival marks the beginning of the student's mobility. To obtain their certificate of arrival all students must register with the International Relations Office in person. Students must send their certificate of arrival to their home institution. Certificate of arrival is important because from that moment the student has 30 days to change his/her original learning agreement.

Letter of attendance or certificate of stay is issued by your host university and is proof that you've fulfilled all your academic obligations and therefore your exchange obligations as well. It has to be stated through which program you've been on the exchange and the exact dates of your arrival and departure.

You must also fill in an online questionnaire, also called the final report, to provide feedback on your Erasmus+ mobility period within 30 days after it finishes. If you do not fill it you might have to pay back your grant or parts of it.

The transcript of records is an official document that provides proof of your study achievements, thus allowing recognition. It gathers the educational components you have taken abroad, the number of ECTS credits you have achieved and the grades you have been awarded. The receiving institution should send the transcript of records to your sending institution at the end of your period of study to formally certify the work completed, the credits awarded, and the local grades received during the mobility period. This document will show all courses that were originally presented in the learning agreement and if they were successfully completed or not. Your sending institution is obliged to recognize and integrate all parts of the signed learning agreement into your curriculum. The format of the transcript of records may be different from institution to institution.

The certificate of attendance is usually issued on the last day of your exchange period.

Certificate of stay or letter of attendance is issued by your host university and is proof that you've fulfilled all your academic obligations and therefore your exchange obligations as well. It has to be stated through which program you've been on the exchange and the exact dates of your arrival and departure.

Certificate of stay or letter of attendance is proof that you've fulfilled all your academic obligations and therefore your exchange obligations as well, so that is the reason why it is one of the most important documents.

Certificate of departure marks the end of the mobility. To obtain their certificate departure, all students must register with the International Relations Office in person. Certificate of departure is issued to students before they leave their host institution and they have to take it back to their home institution with other documents.

An Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree is a high-level integrated international study program of 60, 90 or 120 ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) credits (i.e. between 12 and 24 months in length). It is delivered by an international consortium of higher education institutions from different countries and - where relevant - other educational and/or non-educational partners with specific expertise and interest in the study areas/professional domains covered by the joint program. There must be at least three higher education institutions from Programme Countries in the consortium. Beyond these three higher education institutions, there may also be additional institutions from Programme Countries or Partner Countries. Studies must take place in at least two different Programme Countries. Part of the studies can also take place in an institution from a Partner Country. Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees provide specific EU-funded scholarships to excellent students worldwide to cover travel costs, participation costs and living costs during the entire duration of the Master course.

Students must first apply to the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree (EMJMD) of their choice through the website of the consortia (see question 27). Only students who are selected to take part in an EMJMD organized under the Erasmus+ program may receive these scholarships, but self-funded students can also be enrolled in addition to the scholarship holders. Before applying to the EMJMD consortium of your choice, make sure that you respect the following conditions: ƒ You must have obtained a first higher education degree or demonstrate a recognized equivalent level of learning according to national legislation and practices in the degree awarding countries. This condition must necessarily be fulfilled at the time of enrolment and some EMJMD consortia may decide to accept scholarship applications from students in the last year of their first higher education degree. ƒ You are not eligible to apply to further EMJMD scholarships if you have already obtained an EMJMD scholarship or an Erasmus Mundus Master Course/Joint Doctorate scholarship in the past. Each year, around 15 scholarship holders are selected to take part in the EMJMD program and a minimum of 75 % of the scholarships are earmarked for candidates from Partner Countries.

A student can apply to up to three Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree programs in one selection year.

A list of all Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees (EMJMD) can be found on the website of the Executive Agency (EACEA) and can be accessed here: In the summer of each year a new batch of selected EMJMDs will be added to the list. These programs will open applications to potential scholarship winners in the last quarter of that same year for students who will start in September/October of the following year. This list includes a number of Erasmus Mundus Masters and doctoral Courses selected before 2014. Some of these will continue to select students and doctoral candidates up to 2017.

Erasmus+ requires that all graduated students are awarded at least a double degree officially recognized in the degree-awarding countries, and preferably a joint degree. Recognition in another European (or non-European) country of a national degree delivered by a given European country is a decision for the country concerned (usually based on bilateral agreements between the two countries) and in which the European Union cannot intervene. As a result, the only way to obtain an answer for specific cases would be to raise the question to the appropriate authorities in the country concerned, providing them with the official name of the degree offered by the Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degree program in question. Click here to see the appropriate bodies:

As a matter of principle, study or research periods abroad should be carried out in an institution belonging to the consortium (as a full partner or, as it is often the case for placements in enterprises, as an associate partner). Study or research periods outside the consortium should be regarded as an exception to the rule. For this exception to occur, the consortium would have to justify the relevance of the mobility and the added value for the study. The consortium would have to explain the role of the receiving institution and confirm that this institution is accepting this role. Furthermore, the student's mobility would need to be monitored and evaluated by at least one of the partners in the consortium.

Erasmus+ Master Degree Loans are loans with favorable pay-back terms aimed at students who study in a Programme country that is neither their country of residence nor the country in which they obtained the qualification granting access to the Master's program. To be eligible you must live in one of the Erasmus+ Programme Countries. The amounts of the loans will be of a maximum of EUR 12 000 for a one-year Master and EUR 18 000 for a two-year Master. To apply for these loans, you will need to address yourself to participating in national banks or student loan agencies. For more information, please visit the webpage on Erasmus+ Master Degree Loans:

The first loans are expected to be available for students in 2015. It is however not possible to say when exactly any particular country might be covered because the agreements with banks and student loan agencies will be done gradually on a country by country basis. You can find interesting information on scholarships on the scholarships portal. This portal allows you to filter the scholarships offered depending on your country of origin, the level and discipline of your studies and the place where you would like to study.

Erasmus for Young Entrepreneurs is a cross-border exchange program that gives new or aspiring entrepreneurs the chance to learn from experienced entrepreneurs running small businesses in other Participating Countries. You can find more information here:

The StudyPortals website is an international study choice platform, where you can find several study portals that allow you to look for Bachelor, Master or Doctoral programs filtering per discipline (i.e. Humanities & Art) and per sub-discipline (i.e. Cultural Studies Art & Art History or Language, Literature and Cultural Studies). This same website also includes a "scholarship portal". In addition, under the Erasmus+ program, there are "Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees" that count with specific EU-funded scholarships for excellent students and until 2017 a number of "Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorates" selected in the past generation of the program will continue to offer fellowships to candidates to take part in full doctoral programs (3-4 years). The catalog of available EU-funded scholarships and fellowships at Master and Doctoral level is accessible here:

Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is a Europe-wide student organization. Its goal is to support and develop student exchange on a local, national and international level. It is composed of around 13,500 members in over 530 local sections in 42 countries in Higher Education Institutions, including universities, polytechnics, and university colleges. The local ESN sections offer help, guidance and information to both exchange students and students doing a full degree abroad. ESN provides information about academic exchange programs and student mobility in general. In 1987, the European Community approved a plan to create a mobility scheme for higher education. Part of it was the Erasmus program - an exchange program for students to provide students with the opportunity to spend part of their studies abroad. In 1989 the Erasmus Bureau invited 32 former Erasmus Students for an evaluation meeting in Ghent, Belgium. This meeting was the starting point for the Erasmus Student Network. The lack of peer-to-peer support was singled out as a major issue and the driving force behind the creation of the Erasmus Student Network, named for the Dutch Renaissance humanist Erasmus of Rotterdam. By 1994 ESN had 60 sections in 14 countries. In 2004 the ESN network consisted of 170 sections in and outside Europe, from Scandinavia to Morocco. In 2005, ESN established its headquarters in Brussels and legally registered as a Belgian non-profit organization. As of September 23, 2019, the Erasmus Student Network consists of 529 local associations ("sections") in 42 countries and has more than 15 000 volunteers across the network.

Erasmus Student Network (ESN) is the biggest network of the student association in Europe. It was born on the 16th of October 1989 to support and develop student exchange. Through the principles of Students Helping Students, ESN works to improve the social and practical integration of international students and to represent the needs and rights of those students on a local, national and international level. ESN involves around 34.000 volunteers offering services to around 190.000 international students every year. ESN is present in more than 500 Higher education institutions in 37 countries.

As an ESNer you will be able to develop your soft skills, have an active and dynamic lifestyle, travel a lot, participate in many trainings and conferences, practice foreign languages. It will also be easier for you to enter the job market, not only in your country but worldwide and, since you'll be spending a lot of time in an international environment, you will easily adapt to changes. Being an ESNer will not only help your personal development, but you'll have fun while becoming the best version of yourself.

As an ESNer you will be able to develop your soft skills, have an active and dynamic lifestyle, travel a lot, participate in many trainings and conferences, practice foreign languages. It will also be easier for you to enter the job market, not only in your country but worldwide and, since you'll be spending a lot of time in an international environment, you will easily adapt to changes. Being an ESNer will not only help your personal development, but you'll have fun while becoming the best version of yourself.

You can easily join your local section by sending them a message and asking about the details. They should also have recruitment, so you can go there.

Of course you can. ESNers are mostly former Erasmus students and are always ready to help you with whatever you'll need. Do not hesitate to contact them at any time you encounter problems or difficulties.

Yes. In case you need some help before or during your exchange period, your local ESN section can contact your host ESN section and provide you with accurate information about everything you want to know.

ESN Buddy is a student/ ESN volunteer who is in charge of an incoming student. He/she will help you with academic stuff, show you the best places in your host city, help you with accommodation (on request) and be there for you during your mobility in case you will need help.

You can contact your local ESN section and they can easily get in touch with your host ESN section and your future ESN Buddy, or you can just write to your host ESN section directly if there is one.

Your local ESN section can help you to get ready for your exchange, help you to fill in all the documents required for the exchange and they can help you to contact your host ESN section to meet your ESN Buddy prior your exchange. You can also be a part of internationalization at home, which means that you can feel the Erasmus spirit even before you decide to go abroad.

The ESNcard is the membership card of the Erasmus Student Network (ESN). It gives you access to all the services offered by ESN and all our partners. The aim of the ESNcard - or ESN membership  - is to support international students and trainees and give them access to affordable opportunities during their period abroad. With the ESNcard, you will enjoy plenty of discounts - housing, sport, food, bars, etc.- all over Europe. You will also have the opportunity to participate in hundreds of events with your ESN section and other sections around your destination country, and even beyond, for the period of your membership. You can get it in the office of the closest ESN section.

You are invited to take part in associations existing at your receiving institution/enterprise, such as networks of mentors and buddies organized by student organizations such as Erasmus Student Network.

Learning agreement or LA is a compulsory document for every exchange student. It is a study plan, which undertakes to recognize the exams passed and credits obtained during the exchange period.

The learning agreement has to be signed before the study period abroad and includes what courses you will be studying during your period abroad. To complete the learning agreement, you need to choose a range of courses. It is very important that you choose the courses that suit you best, in order to benefit most from the exchange and to get them recognized when you come back.

Start by looking at the program at your sending institution for the semester you want to go abroad. You should find courses (or other components) that will allow you to learn something comparable with what you would have learned if you followed other components from your home degree. They do not have to match, but they have to be comparable as a group.

Afterward, you will have to visit each professor that is teaching one of the obligatory courses to make sure they agree with your selection. This step is crucial to avoid problems with recognition when you return from your studies abroad. Your faculty coordinator can help you as well.

Pay attention to the schedule of the courses at the receiving university. Usually, Erasmus students are allowed to choose from a variety of courses from different years and faculties. Therefore, it might happen that some of the courses you would like to take will overlap. To avoid this situation and future changes in the learning agreement, make sure you check the timetables before you make a final decision upon the courses.

Before going abroad make sure to understand what happens in case you do not pass all courses at the receiving institution. Consult with your International Relations Office before going abroad. Each Institution has different regulations.

In your learning agreement, you will find a section (usually on the third page of LA) "during the mobility" where you'll have to put the subjects that you want to change and write the reason for that activity. You can do that on your own and then take it to the International Relations Office at your host university for them to sign it and send it to your home institution.

When you want to choose subjects that you'll attend at your host university, you have to go to their web page and check the offer for incoming students. You'll be able to find syllabuses for all the subjects offered in English. It is really important that you pay attention to the semesters those subjects are offered in. If you are going on the exchange for a summer semester, you must choose subjects offered at your host university in the summer semester (same for the winter semester). Year of study is not important, semester is.

Your faculty coordinator should help you with choosing subjects, but keep in mind that you're not the only person that wants to go on the exchange. It will be better (and easier) if you choose them on your own and then talk to the faculty coordinator to check if all the subjects' syllabuses match on both institutions.

For your changed LA to be valid, you have to change it during the first month of your stay abroad. So, from the day you arrive at your host university, you have 30 days to change your learning agreement.

The purpose of the Learning Agreement is to provide a transparent and efficient preparation of the exchange to make sure the student receives recognition for the activities successfully completed abroad. The Learning Agreement should include all the learning outcomes the student is expected to acquire during the exchange. For student mobility for studies, the Learning Agreement should set out the group of educational components that will be replaced in the student's degree upon successful completion of the study program abroad. For student mobility for traineeships, the Learning Agreement should set out how the traineeship will be recognized depending on whether it counts towards the student's degree, is taken voluntarily (not obligatory for the degree) or is being carried out by a recent graduate.

The Learning Agreement sets out the program of the studies or the traineeship to be followed abroad and must be approved by the student, the sending and the receiving institution, organization or enterprise before the start of the exchange. All three parties signing the Learning Agreement commit to comply with all the agreed arrangements, thereby ensuring that the student will receive recognition for the studies or traineeship carried out abroad without any further requirements.

When it comes to Erasmus+ exchange you need to have 25-30 ECTS.

The maximum amount of ECTS that you can put in your Learning agreement is 30.

Unfortunately no. You have to choose subjects from the semester you are applying for. So if you are going on the exchange in the summer semester, you have to choose subjects from the summer semester. Accordingly, if you are going on the exchange in the winter semester, you have to choose subjects from the winter semester offered at the host institution. Year of study is not important, meaning that if you are in the second year of studies at your home institution, you can take subjects from the first, second and third year at your host university. Sometimes it is possible that subjects from other degree programs are matching in the syllabus with the ones you study at your home university and you can take them too. As long as you are respecting the semester, the year or cycle of study is not that important.

Unfortunately, no. If you are applying for the winter semester you can only take subjects that are offered at your host university in the winter semester, but you can take them from different years of studies.

Unfortunately, no. If you are applying for the summer semester you can only take subjects that are offered at your host university in the summer semester, but you can take them from different years of studies.

The subjects that are offered for incoming students usually can be found on that university's web-page, or at your home university's web-page as well.

Not all universities have the same faculties, sometimes you won't find the exact field available at all, but it might happen that you'll find subjects that suit you on two or even three faculties that have a connection with what you're studying. So, of course, you can take subjects from more than one faculty, but be careful if the university you are applying for has dislocated campuses/faculties, meaning that they are not all in the same city.


To be accepted, LA must have a minimum of 25 ECTS. The student must pass all the exams written in the LA, but if not then at least 70%.

Not all international students will need a visa – EU students studying within another European country, for instance – but those who do need one should make sure to begin their student visa application well in advance.

To get your hands on the application forms and other useful information about student visa requirements, you should visit the official embassy or consulate website of your country of study. This website should have all the information regarding visa applications, forms, documentation and interviews. If you're struggling to find the guidelines, contact the embassy or consulate by phone, email or in person. If you have any other queries about the type of visa you need or any more general questions regarding the practical side of studying abroad, you can also ask for help from the university you plan to attend. Most universities will provide support for international students going through this process. In some countries you can even apply for your visa through the institution, meaning that much of the bureaucratic work is done by the university itself. To find out if this is the case, contact the international admissions department of the university, and ask whether they can help you at all with your application.

In general, you'll need your letter of acceptance to the university, proof of funding for the entirety of your stay and a valid passport. Some embassies may ask you for health insurance, language proficiency test results, two small photos and proof of your intention to return home after finishing your studies (for example your return ticket). All this information you must check before your appointment in the Embassy on their web page, so you'll have all the documentation ready.

Paying for a student visa depends on the country you're going to. To be sure, please check this on the Embassies official pages when checking what other documents will be needed to acquire the visa.

If you have a valid fiscal receipt from the Embassy, you'll get compensation for your visa. You must enclose them with other papers to the International relations office at your host institution and you'll get money back on your student bank account in your host country.

Yes. As soon as your visa expires you are not legally in the country.

The visa allows the student to enter into the country of his/her mobility destination, while temporary residence allows the stay for a longer period.

The registration of residence is a procedure students must do within the first few days of their arrival. For this purpose, students must provide:

Copy of their passport: general information page with the passport photo and the page with the entry stamp, that has the stamp of their last entry into BiH. Students should pay attention to the date of expiry of their passports. The expiry date of the passport must be at least three months longer than the period for which the temporary residence is requested.

They are assisted with obtaining a statement from their landlord which proves that they have an address in BiH as well as with obtaining the document that proves that their landlord is the owner of the apartment the students are staying at. This document is a part of the documentation for their temporary residence approval. The registration of the residence must be repeated every time students change their accommodation, i.e. his/her address.

It is one of the utmost importance for all students to enter BiH with valid health insurance that clearly states that sit covers the entire period of their mobility period and that the insurance policy provides coverage for BiH.

In addition to this, the students also must bring with them the certificate that there are no pending criminal proceedings against them, as well as the certificate that they have not been convicted for any crimes. All other documents students will obtain once they arrive in BiH.

All documents necessary for temporary residence application must be translated into B/H/S.

You will have assistance from one of the students-buddies from your host university that will help you with the local language and getting around, doing paperwork. The international relations office from your host university will provide you all the help you need.

Yes. See answer to question no. 124.

To reduce expenses and increase mobility, many students also use the European Commission-supported accommodation network, CasaSwap, FlatClub, Erasmusinn, Eurasmus, Erasmate or Student Mundial, which are free websites where students and young people can rent, sublet, offer and swap accommodation – on a national and international basis.

You can always contact your host International Office so they can propose you the accommodation, or where to look for it. Also, contacting ESN at your host university is going to be helpful for sure.

This depends on the country you'll be living in. In some countries, dorms are cheaper, so if you don't mind sharing some of the facilities (e.g. kitchen, toilet) with other students, it is a better option. Of course, you can change your accommodation at any moment if it doesn't suit you.

Depending on what type of accommodation you choose, rent (for a one-bedroom apartment per month) can go from 150EUR and higher.

The prices can vary depending on the country, but dorms are usually cheaper than private accommodation.

Choosing your accommodation is completely up to you. You can find private accommodation or, since many universities have them, you can stay in one of the dormitories.

Yes, you can and it's highly recommended to do so.

Of course. But you'll need to book a room at a hostel/hotel, so you have a place where you'll be staying until you find your accommodation.

The amount of the scholarship you get depends on the costs for living expenses of the country you're going to.

No, you usually don’t. You’ll get your first scholarship “on hands” when you arrive at your host institution and the next month you’ll get 80% of the full amount (80% of scholarships for your whole stay) transferred to your bank account. The last 20% (usually the last scholarship) will be on your account when you fulfill all academic obligations and complete the Erasmus+ survey.

To receive your scholarship, yes, you will have to open a bank account in your host country.

The first scholarship you'll get on hand at your host institution and the rest of it will be transferred once you provide your new bank account info to your host International relations office and it is really important that you open the bank account as soon as you are told so.

Students that receive an Erasmus+ grant from EU funds will have to fully or partially reimburse the EU grant if they do not comply with the terms of the grant agreement. However, there is an exception to this rule when students are prevented from completing their planned activities abroad due to a case of "force majeure", i.e. an "unforeseeable exceptional situation or event beyond the participant's control and not attributable to error or negligence on his/her part". In that case, students are entitled to receive the amount of the grant corresponding to the actual duration of the mobility period (as defined in article 2.2 of their grant agreement) and the remaining funds will have to be refunded (except if agreed differently with the sending organization). You should carefully check the grant agreement before signing it and keep it in mind during your period abroad. For example, if a final installment is foreseen at the end of the period abroad, it will be subject to the submission of the compulsory online assessment at the end of the mobility, and you may be asked to partially or fully reimburse the EU grant received if you do not complete and submit the final online report.

No, it is not possible to increase the amount of the scholarship you are given, because there are previously established rules and laws that must be followed.

It depends on your spending habits, but yes. Usually students get enough money to cover all their expenses and to afford themselves some little luxuries (e.g. traveling).

Yes, you'll get your scholarship in euros and then you'll have to exchange it into the country's official valute (Erasmus+).

CEEPUS is an acronym for "Central European Exchange Program for university Studies". Each country has a National CEEPUS Office in charge of national implementation. here is an internal currency of "1 scholarship month" instead. Each country pays its INCOMING students and teachers and has to pledge at least 100 scholarship months per academic year. The CEEPUS Agreement also specifies that these grants be comprehensive grants linked to the local cost of living. So far, experience has shown that this system works very well. The main activity of CEEPUS are university networks operating joint programs ideally leading to Joint Degrees, esp. Joint Doctoral Programs. CEEPUS covers mobility grants for students and teachers in this framework. Current member countries: Albania, Austria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, the Slovak Republic and Slovenia. Prishtina/Kosovo is also participating.

DAAD scholarships are aimed primarily at graduates, doctoral students and postdocs and are awarded for study and research visits to universities and non-university research institutions in Germany. In some programs, internships are also funded. DAAD awards Research Grants – Short-Term Grants for PhD students and postdocs and Research Grants – One-Year Grants for Doctoral Candidates from almost all countries of origin. For a language course in Germany, you can apply to the university Summer Courses and university Winter Courses programs. A grant for a full doctoral program in Germany is offered primarily to applicants from developing and threshold countries (based on the OECD-DAC list). Scholarships for a Master's degree in Germany are available, in particular, for persons from industrial countries. Also available are so-called "Sur-place and Third Country Programmes" in which students and young scientists and researchers are offered DAAD funding for a graduate program, doctoral program or postdoc period in their home country or region. DAAD scholarships do not have to be paid back. They usually consist of a monthly scholarship payment (currently, for example,  € 861 for graduates and € 1,200 for doctoral/PhD students) and a flat-rate travel allowance. In many cases, DAAD also provides you with health, accident and personal liability insurance. Depending on the scholarship program, here are also additional benefits such as a one-off research allowance, family benefits or funds for language courses.

Health insurance is a type of insurance coverage that typically pays for medical, surgical, prescription drug and sometimes dental expenses incurred. Health insurance can reimburse the insured for expenses incurred from illness or injury, or pay the care provider directly.

You can buy your health insurance in different health insurance companies in your city/country. They usually have different plans and some are more affordable than others. Before you buy one, you should check if your home country has an agreement with your host country about transferring your health insurance that you already use. If not, then look for the best option you can find and make sure it fulfils the requirements for a visa (in case you’ll need one).

If you get sick and you really need to go to hospital, check with your host institution IRO which hospital/ambulance accepts international students.

Yes, you'll have to pay for all medical expenses. To get that money back, you'll need the original bill from the hospital or other medical institution. When you get back to your home country, you'll contact your health insurance provider, give them original bills from the hospital and you'll get compensation for those expenses.

Your insurance company will give you money back, but be sure to keep all your original bills.

It completely depends on the insurance company, but usually going to the dentist's (if it's not an emergency), any kind of medical procedure that is not urgent and plastic surgeries are not covered by the insurance, therefore you won't get your money back for those even if you have the original bills.

Your health insurance must cover the whole period while you're on exchange and, depending on the visa requirements, it should cover up to 30 000EUR.

Yes. The level of English language proficiency required for the Erasmus+ exchange is B2.

If you are applying through your International relations office, you can take the English proficiency test there and it's completely free and valid for any student mobility program. You can also have a diploma or certificate from another internationally recognized language institution, but it has to be B2 minimum.

You must be able to follow university lectures in English, therefore the minimum level of English language has to be B2.

If you want, of course. You can always take some additional courses, or check if your home university provides them for students that will go on exchange. Also, you can spend some time preparing on your own, using different sources and apps for language learning.

Yes. You will get 275 EUR for your travel costs from the Erasmus+ program. If your travel costs are higher than that, you'll have to cover the rest.

The best travel option completely depends on you. Take all pros and cons into consideration and decide on your own. Maybe you like long travels, so you'll take the bus/train and you won't be restricted with luggage, or if you want to get to your host country faster, you can always take a plane, but that might be a bit more expensive than the first option.

You have to pay attention to the rules of the air company you're flying with and follow them.

You shouldn't buy the ticket if you are not sure you've been accepted for the exchange. If you have confirmed that, then it's up to you to decide when you want to buy the ticket and if you'll buy a return ticket right away.

A motivational letter is a document detailing your professional skills and reasons for applying for a course of study, a scholarship or a volunteer job. This letter accompanies your application and supporting documents, such as a transcript of your grades or a resume.

There are two ways to structure a motivational letter: in three paragraphs (introduction, body, conclusion) or in 5-7 paragraphs (where each paragraph highlights a different point).

Writing a good motivation letter takes time, so make sure you methodically work through the steps to make yours the best possible. Allowing plenty of time to write your motivation letter ensures you include all the necessary content and follow each important step, including the following:

Write an outline. (e.g. why you want to study the course or volunteer with the program, your skills or qualities that will benefit the school or non-profit, why you are interested in the school or non-profit organization)

Write an introduction. (Write an introduction that introduces yourself to the recipient. Address your recipient by name, if possible, to give your motivation letter a personal touch. Your introduction should capture your recipient's attention and encourage them to read on, so include details about your achievements in this section.)

Expand your outline for your body. (Expand the points in your outline to form your motivation letter's body. Take a new paragraph for every new topic. Remember, your motivation letter aims to convince your recipient of your value, so use compelling facts to be persuasive.)

Conclude your motivation letter. (Write a conclusion to your motivation letter that summarizes your goal and leaves a positive final impression. You should also thank your recipient for considering your application and encourage them to contact you if they have any questions.)

Proofread your motivation letter. (Proofread your motivation letter to make it more concise and professional. Correct any spelling and grammatical errors and awkward phrasing. Edit information already listed in your application form or resume to ensure your motivation letter contains only unique information.)

Follow any formatting, length and content guidelines provided by your prospective school or non-profit organization. If the organization does not provide any details, write approximately 1/2 to one page of text with a basic 12-point font, such as Times New Roman or Arial.

Your interests, feelings and perspectives are unique, so writing about them is a good way to separate your letter from others. Write in a natural voice that reflects how you would speak to your recipient if they were in a room with you. Include interesting details that help your motivation letter stand out from others. Humor can be misinterpreted, so opt for a more serious tone.

An accessible language that readers can easily understand is best for motivation letters. Identify any unnecessarily complex terms or jargon when you are proofreading and replace them with simpler words. Write short, active sentences that cannot be misinterpreted.

Write about your personal strengths, rather than your challenges or limitations. Writing about your strengths helps the recipients of your motivation letters understand your value to their organization and keeps your letter's tone positive.

DO NOT LIE! If you write anything remotely untrue, your reader will sense it. Unconsciously, we inflate feelings and ideas when we lie. If you tell a fake story or inflate your excitement or achievements, you will be put into the "lying Pinnochio pile". Consider your case rested and your application denied. 

A well-written motivational letter can convince hiring and admissions managers to invite you for an interview or approve your application.

A motivational letter is an addition to your CV, so writing about yourself and highlighting your strengths is very important. When it comes to writing about faculty, or organization/company, it's good to show genuine interest and share some information that made you apply to their announcement in particular.

Mevlana Exchange Programme is a program that aims at the exchange of students and academic staff between the Turkish higher education institutions and higher education institutions of other countries. With the regulation published in 2011 students and academic staff exchange between Turkish higher education institutions and higher education institutions of other countries has been possible.

Student information form, learning protocol, student application form and candidate student application form.

To be a Mevlana Exchange Programme student - The students must be studying at associate degree, bachelor degree, master degree or PhD degree of higher education programs - Grade point average (GPA) of associate degree and undergraduate students must be at least 2,5 on a four-point scale. - Grade point average (GPA) of graduate students (MA, PhD) must be at least 3.00 on a four-point scale. - 50% language score + 50% GPA of the students studying in their first year at the associate or bachelor degree and the students of preparation classes and scientific preparation programs of graduate degrees cannot participate in this program at their first semester.

The students registered in formal education programs in Associate Degree, B.A, M.A and PhD level at higher education institutions in Turkey (on condition that the higher education institutions signed a bilateral Mevlana Exchange Protocol) may benefit from the Mevlana Exchange Programme. Additionally, all academic staff who work in a national or foreign higher education institution, on condition that the higher education institutions signed a bilateral Mevlana Exchange Protocol, may benefit from the Mevlana Exchange Programme. In the scope of mobility, academic activities of academic staff cannot be less than a total of six hours weekly. In the hourly calculation of the activities performed by academic staff, courses are considered. If course hours do not complete six hours, academic activities like seminars, panels or conferences are evaluated in this context. Academic staff mobility plans which do not contain lectures shall not be considered within the Mevlana Exchange Programme and accepted for the Exchange.

Students may study abroad for one (minimum) or two (maximum) semesters. Semester periods may be different considering the education systems, but the total exchange period cannot exceed one academic year. Academic staff also may participate in the Mevlana Exchange Programme. Academic staff may lecture abroad from one week (minimum) to three months (maximum).

Students do not pay any tuition fees to the host institution during the program, but they continue to pay the obligatory tuition fees to their home institutions. They do not pay any extra fee to the host institution within the scope of the exchange program.

As the course(s) to be taken in the host institution are officially agreed to be counted in advance within the Learning Protocol, the students do not repeat any courses/semesters when they return.

Incoming students from other countries to Turkish higher education institutions are granted according to the ratios determined by the Council of Higher Education Executive Board. In terms of the scholarships that will be paid to the students, 70% of the scholarship amount is paid monthly. For the student's remaining grant payment, the ratio of total credits of the succeeded courses to the courses that the student is obliged to take as obligatory courses will be considered. In the case of insufficiency of the funds for the Mevlana Exchange Programme, providing the correspondence with other principles, student mobility can be carried out by other scholarships or without the scholarship.

No. In case you extend your stay, you become zero grantee. That means that you have to pay for your food and accommodation by yourself, but your tuition fees are covered.

The students studying in their first year at the associate or bachelor degree and the students of preparation classes and scientific preparation programs of graduate degrees cannot participate in this program at their first semester.

The students studying in their first year at associate or bachelor degree and the students of preparation classes and scientific preparation programmes of graduate degrees cannot participate in this programme at their first semester.


Džemal Bijedić University of Mostar
University Campus
88104, Mostar
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Phone: +387 36 570 790

eMail: international[@]unmo[.]ba

Cookie Notice

Please note that on our website we use cookies necessary for the functioning of our website, cookies that optimize the performance. To learn more about our cookies, how we use them and their benefits, please read our Cookie Policy.

Back to top